Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Time in Cue ~ Part 21

Rocks


Working in the kitchen is conducive to thinking about other things. We buy biscuits by the box and the last order was for plain biscuits when normally we prefer cream filled biscuits for the lunches, which incidentally are called cribs here in Western Australia. The guys are not keen on plain biscuits and they tend to leave several varieties in the box … choosing to take the three varieties that are sweeter and less like what they may have consumed at home as children.


To use up these plain biscuits I make them into fudge balls, saving some for our afternoon tea at scrapbooking tomorrow. Fudge balls go down well … plain biscuits are not wasted …tactical economy prevails.

Making fudge balls is a simple task that allows the mind to wander. Today my mind wandered to rocks. Rocks are a far cry from fudge balls I admit, but better to think about rocks than say, maggots or worms or other inedible things. Though it could be relevant that rocks and fudge balls can be similar in shape, but never in texture!

The Outback is made up of red dirt, as are many of the ancient soils of the world. It wasn't until I moved to this remote part of Australia that this fact dawned upon me. More time to think perhaps? As I contemplated red dirt this morning [it comes through the smallest crack in the building, in fact I swear it stands at the doorways waiting for them to open so it can spread its clingingness across furniture, windows, skirting, and all surfaces thus necessitating ongoing cleaning] rocks were the next obvious train of thought.

I think I have a fascination with rocks. Not in a professional geological manner, simply a basic curiosity; how did a diverse bunch of different colours and textures finish up as near neighbours?

Earlier this week whilst touring some of the mining sites near to this town we came across some wonderful rocks … no doubt that is why the subject of rocks stayed high in my mind … and I was astounded at the variety and colours of them. Bright green rocks that looked as though they must be poisonous, striped rocks [strata rocks] that we later found edging an Indigenous grave in the local cemetery, soft rocks, brown rocks, rocks that may have once held gold, and no matter how long I looked at the rocks, and marveled at their structure and texture and colour, I came to the conclusion that this Earth is indeed a unique place.

When making sweetmeats in the kitchen letting the mind wander is definitely a wonderful way to fill in what could be a boring moment.

No comments: