Friday, August 20, 2010

My Time in Cue ~ Part 2

The Outback

As I travelled over 600kms north of Perth to a job in the Mid-west, amazingly a sign informed me I was entering the Outback, and as that fact registered I fully realised the size of the step I was undertaking.

Leaving my son’s home at the break of day I travelled by coach for almost twelve hours, stopping for lunch at a roadhouse that caters not only for truck drivers, but coaches and others heading north, arriving after sunset at the hotel where I am to be employed as a kitchen hand.

The journey initially traversed through farmland, the wheat belt of Western Australia. Slowly but surely we headed into red dirt country with little sign of habitation, animals or people.

The sunset was glorious! Australia is a massive continent. Whilst looking out the coach window it was possible to see that the earth is round; so low in the distance was the horizon, and so high directly above was the sky. The golden glow of the setting sun towards the Indian Ocean contrasted the blue sky above, while in the east, the gray colour of the evening light on the shrubby trees appeared almost ghostly.

The hotel where I am working and living is very old, the people not so old; I think I am going to settle into this environment.

No comments: